What To Do with All That Pumpkin? Sweet and Salty Appetizers
Sugar Pumpkin and Feta Cheese Appetizers
Pumpkins ARE EVERYWHERE! But really, what can you do with a pumpkin other than soup, pie and bread? Not that those aren't fabulous, but here is a new sweet and salty appetizer idea to try at your next dinner party.
1 small Sugar Pumpkin (or 1/4 Large Pumpkin)
8 ounces Feta Cheese
1 teaspoon Sea Salt
½ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
½ teaspoon Ground Cloves (optional)
1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
½ teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
1 tablespoon Raw Sugar
1 tablespoon Honey
1 tablespoon Grape Seed Oil
- Pre heat oven to 425F.
- Quarter the pumpkin and using a large metal spoon, scoop out the seeds and insides of the pumpkin. Save the seeds for roasting. Using a sharp knife or vegetable peeler, remove the skin from the pumpkin. Cut slices of pumpkin, about 1-inch thick, then cut again to cube into 1inch by 1-inch cubes.
- Mix the pumpkin with the rest of the ingredients gently in a bowl.
- Place on baking sheet and roast for 15-20 minutes, depending on thickness of slices.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Cut the feta cheese into 1-inch by ½ inch rectangles.
- On a small skewer or long toothpick place a piece of pumpkin, feta cheese and pumpkin (so that the feta in in the middle). Stick the skewer in a small pumpkin or gourd for a creative presentation.