by Andy Varela
A hearty snack packed with protein, this recipe video for Fast and Easy Falafels is a fun crash course in making falafels.
2 cups chickpeas
¼ whole onion, diced
½ cup mezuzah/arugula, chopped
½ cup parsley
½ whole lemon juice
1 whole egg, beaten
2 cups breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon olive oil
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon cumin
1 clove garlic, minced
1. Add the chickpeas, to a medium-size blender. Pulse the blender until the chickpeas are mashed.
Transfer the chickpeas to a medium to large bowl.
2. Dice ¼ of a sweet onion and add that to the bowl with the chickpeas.
3. Chop the mezuzah (or arugula) as well as the parsley very finely. Be sure to remove any large stems off the greens. Add the greens to the bowl.
4. Mince the garlic and add that to the bowl.
5. Squeeze the juice from half a lemon into the bowl. Be sure to remove any seeds.
6. Add olive oil, salt, pepper, and cumin to the bowl.
7. Use your hands to mix everything together until well incorporated.
8. Once the mixture is unified, create small cakes out of the mixture.
9. Begin to heat olive or canola oil in a large skillet.
10. Take the cakes, one at a time, and coat them with breadcrumbs. Then dip the cakes into the beaten egg, and once again in the breadcrumbs.
11. Sauté the falafels in oil until they are golden brown. Allow them to rest for a few minutes before serving.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Andy Varela, Maitland Mountain Farm, 2013.