by Amanda Brawley
Irish brown bread, sometimes called wheaten bread, is a form of Irish soda bread made with stone-ground, whole-wheat flour.
¾ cup flour
1 ¼ cup of extra coarse Odlums Whole Grain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons molasses
4 tablespoons melted butter
½ cup buttermilk
1. Mix dry ingredients together.
2, Add melted butter.
3. Add molasses and mix well.
4. Add buttermilk slowly until flour mixture adheres together and forms a ball.
5. Place on floured surface and knead into round loaf.
6. Brush with egg and sprinkle top with whole grain flour.
7. Bake in pre-heated 350 degree F. oven for 30 to 40 minutes.
Allow to completely cool before cutting.
Recipe courtesy of Amanda Brawley, 2011.