by Heather Atwood
Giving fresh taste and packed with nutrition, this recipe for Vegetarian Kale Stew won't have you straying too far outside of your culinary comfort-zone.
1/4 cup olive oil
3 onions, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium butternut squash, peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
3 red bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 1/2 large bunch of kale (about 6 cups washed, trimmed of the center stem, and cut into 2 inch strips)
1 tablespoon dried sage (1/4 cup chopped fresh sage)
3 cups beans (rinse well if using canned)
1 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and halved
6 teaspoons freshly grated Romano cheese
1. Heat oil in a heavy Dutch oven over medium high heat.
2. Add onions and cook until they begin to soften.
3. Add garlic, and cook until that softens, also, about 7 minutes.
4. Add the chopped squash, and cook for five minutes.
5. Add the red pepper, and toss it in the vegetables mixture.
6. Add broth.
7. Cover and cook until the squash is tender.
8. Add the kale and sage to the stew, and cook until kale is tender, about 10 minutes.
9. Add the beans, and olives, and heat through.
10. Season with salt and pepper.
11. Serve hot with freshly grated cheese on top.
Recipe courtesy of Heather Atwood, 2012.