by Andy Varela
Learn how to turn a chicken dinner into something with a kick. Watch as Chef Andy Varela uses ancho chiles and jalapeño peppers for this recipe for Ancho Marinated Chicken.
3 ancho chilies
½ sweet onion
1 jalapeno pepper
3 chicken breasts
3-5 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups flour
3 tablespoons blackening seasoning
1. Begin by grilling the chilies and onion on a grill or stovetop until they get a small char.
2. Slice the chicken breasts into thin strips. The thinner the better, as it will lessen cook time.
3. Remove the stems from the chilies and cut the chilies in half. Give the onion a rough cop as well. Place the chilies and onions in a food processor and pulse the ingredients until they break down. Add olive oil and the juice of a whole lemon to the food processor as well.
4. Blend these ingredients together until they are well incorporated.
5. Place the chicken in a medium bowl, and pour over the marinade. Allow this to sit overnight, or at least one hour.
6. Prepare the crust for your chicken by mixing flour, salt and blackening seasoning.
7. Heat olive oil or canola oil in a pan. Place the chicken in the heated pan, and sauté/fry in the pan until golden brown.
8. Enjoy with your favorite side dish.