by Stephanie Smith
Breathe new life into your own life with the fresh fruits and vegetables popping out of the ground this time of year. Chef and caterer Stephanie Smith shares her recipe for an Avocado Beet Salad.
1-2 Whole Beets
1 Whole Avocado
1 Whole Orange
1 Whole Red Onion
1 Bag (or equivalent) Mixed Greens
2 Tablespoons Vinegar
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1/3 Cup Orange Juice
1 Whole Orange Zest
1/4 Cup Roasted Almonds
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Mix orange juice, orange zest, oil and vinegar in a bowl.
2. Roast, peel and slice the beets into disc shapes.
3. Marinate the beets in the dressing while you prepare the rest of the salad.
4. Put greens and onions on the plate.
5. Slice avocado into wedges and place them on top.
6. Place beets circles on top of the salad.
7. Sprinkle honey roasted almonds on top.
8. Dress salad with remaining dressing.
Recipe courtesy of Stephanie Smith, 2013.