by Stephanie Smith
A side dish that also serves as the ultimate comfort food, this video recipe for Four Cheese Scalloped Potatoes is best served to a hungry crowd.
3 tablespoons butter
2 cloves garlic
3 tablespoons flour
2 ½ cups milk
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 cup cheddar cheese
1 cup Swiss cheese
8 ounces (one small container) garlic cream cheese
½ cup Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons parsley
1. Peel and wash the potatoes. Slice the potatoes in uniform. Use either a mandolin or a knife.
2. In a medium-large pot, melt 3 tablespoons of butter. Once melted, combine garlic and flour to create the roux. Mix these ingredients together well until a “paste” is developed.
3. Add the 2 ½ cups of milk to the roux. Bring to a rapid boil, and then reduce the heat to medium-low to simmer for 3-5 minutes. Stir continuously to avoid burning the milk.
4. Add salt and pepper.
5. Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
6. Begin to add the cheeses. 1 cup shredded cheddar, 1 cup shredded Swiss, and garlic cream cheese. Save the Parmesan for just before the oven.
7. Mix the cheeses together until they are melted all the way, and the mixture becomes a thick cheese sauce.
8. In a greased casserole dish, lay one layer of potatoes down. They do not need to be perfectly flat on the pan. Pour a layer of cheese sauce over the potatoes. Continue to alternate until the potatoes are all used. Make sure to have the top layer be the cheese sauce. This will become golden brown and crispy.
9. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top, and garnish with parsley.
10. Bake at 350ºF for 90 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender.