Create a tender and sweet Gluten Free Blueberry Cake that is both easy to make and sure to please those with gluten intolerance and without. Learn how to prepare this recipe in this how to video tutorial.
1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour blend (reserve a couple tablespoons to toss the berries with)
3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2-1 teaspoon lemon zest (optional)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 stick salted butter softened and cut into 1/2 ablespoon pieces
1/3 cup buttermilk or sour milk (add one teaspoon lemon juice or vinegar to a liquid measuring cup then add enough milk to reach the 1/3 cup line. Let sit for five minutes before adding to the mixture)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8 by 8 inch square pan.
2. Whisk together eggs, buttermilk and vanilla. Set bowl aside.
3. In a stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, mix flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, lemon zest and sugar on low until the ingredients are combined.
4. Add in the softened butter one piece at a time, slowly increasing the speed of the mixer to medium. Once the mixture looks like crumbs, add in 1/3 to 1/2 of the buttermilk mixture and beat for 2 to 3 minutes on medium-high, so the mixture becomes light and fluffy.
5. Add the rest of the liquid in two increments, beating for about at minute after each addition on medium-high speed. Scrape down and around the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula while you add the liquid ingredients.
6. Toss the blueberries with the reserved flour
7. Fold the berries into the batter.
8. Pour batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Place on the middle rack of the oven and cook for roughly 35 minutes.
9. Take the cake out of the oven, serve and enjoy.