This spring, tempt your family and friends with a slice of spring on a plate. Light and soft as pillows with a hint of tartness, Madeleine's recipe for Gluten Free Lemon Cake is sinfully delicious.
3 1/2 Cup Gluten Free Flour or Create your own Gluten Free Flour*
2 Cups Sugar
4 Whole Eggs
1 Whole Lemon Zest
1 ½ Tablespoon Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Xanthum Gum
1 1/6 Cup Milk
10 Tablespoon Canola Oil
5 Cups Lemon Buttercream Frosting (or frosting of your choice)
1 Cup Lemon Curd
* 2 Cups Rice Flour
1 cup Potato Starch
1/2 cup Tapioca Starch/Flour
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and xanthum gum.
3. In a smaller mixing bowl, combine the milk and canola oil.
4. In a stand up mixer, beat together eggs and sugar in a mixer for approximately one minute.
5. To the egg and sugar mixture, slowly alternate between adding the wet and dry mixture to the mixer. Mix together on medium to high speed, making sure to thoroughly combine each added portion.
6. Grease or line two 9" baking pans.
7. Fill each 9" pan with half of the cake batter. To remove air bubbles, tap the pans lightly on a table until bubbles come to the surface and burst.
8. Bake for 30 - 35 minutes at 350 degrees.
9. Slice each cake in half, length wise, creating four layers of cake.
10. On a tray, place the bottom layer and on it, spread 1/4 cup of lemon curd. Then, spread about 1/2 cup of lemon buttercream frosting on top of the lemon curd. Finish this layer by adding one of the three remaining layers of cake and repeat this pattern of layering for all four layers.
11. Once all four layers are complete, use the remaining cups of lemon buttercream frosting to frost the top and outside of cake.
Recipe courtesy of Madeleine of Madeleine's Madeleines, 2013.