by Kelly Delaney
A St. Patrick's Day Cake hat celebrates the Guinness beer tradition of Ireland. Learn three cake decorating techniques.
1 pint of heavy cream
18 ounces Merckens chocolate wafers (aka Buttons) (available at AC Moore and other craft stores. You can use other brand names as well, but be sure to buy the 'coating wafers')
1. Bring Heavy cream to the scalding point.
2. Remove from heat immediately and add chocolate wafers.
3. Stir with wooden spoon until evenly melted.
4. Place in refrigeration over night to set. * this must be done ahead of time to allow the chocolate to set.
5. Remove from the refrigerator at least 3 hours before use.
In order to use as frosting the chocolate ganache should be at room temperature, smooth enough to frost. So, more time should be allowed out of the refrigerator.
Recipe courtesy of Kelly Delaney, Cakes For Occasions, 2010.