by Andy Varela
Chef and farmer Andy Varela has developed an easy and simple way to put your vegetables to good use in this recipe video for Mustard Greens Salad
2 cups Red Mustard Greens
2 cups Tatsoi
2 cups Scarlet Frills
1 bunch Cilantro
1 bunch Green Onions
2-3 tablespoons Dijon Mustard (or to taste)
1/2 cup Cider Vinegar (or to taste)
1/2 cup Canola Oil (or to taste)
1 teaspoon Salt (or to taste)
1 teaspoon Pepper (or to taste)
1. In a large bowl, tear the greens into smaller pieces, in order to make eating manageable. Season the greens with salt to sweat out any excess liquid, and add a pinch of pepper.
2. Prepare the dressing in a medium sized-food processor. To make the dressing, remove the ball roots from the green, or spring onions. Chop them into small pieces to help the food processor along.
3. To the food processor, add Dijon mustard, and cider vinegar. Blend these ingredients together until smooth.
4. Chop cilantro leaves into smaller pieces before adding them to the food processor as well.
5. Add salt and pepper, and blend until the dressing is smooth.
6. Add canola oil until you have reached your desired consistency and taste.
7. Dress the salad with a few tablespoons of dressing, and toss well to coat all the leaves.
8. For service, add a little extra dressing on the side to each plate for the diners.
Recipe courtesy Andy Varela, Maitland Mountain Farm, 2013.