by Felicia Mohan
The Sicilians know how to prepare and eat extra large zucchinis. Fry the zucchini slices and serve over pasta.
1 over sized zucchini
Fresh grated parmesan cheese
1 pound pasta, cooked
1 cup fresh basil, sliced
8 hard boiled eggs, sliced
Pepper to taste
1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
1. Slice zucchini into slices about 1/8 of an inch thick and fry in oil for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side until golden brown.
2. Fold several of the basil leaves together into a cigar shaped piece and slice cross ways into small strips.
3. Place 1/3 of the cooked pasta into a large bowl and add a layer of the fried zucchini.
4. Sprinkle a layer of the parmesan cheese over the zucchini.
5. Add a layer of the basil and then the sliced eggs on top.
6. Ladle about 1/4 cup of pasta water on top and sprinkle a small amount of pepper on top.
7. Repeat the above steps twice more with the rest of the ingredients to make three layers.
8. Top off final layer with olive oil and extra parmesan cheese.
Serve on plates with olive oil and fesh basil leaves.
Recipe courtesy of Felicia (Ciaramitaro) Mohan, 2011.